Fish Soup of Cadiz (Sopa de Pescado Gaditana)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 3 pounds cleaned fish, large or small; see * Note (cut in slices 2 to 3" thick)
- 4 small cloves garlic; peeled
- 1 medium onion; minced
- 1/2 Cup sour orange juice (add lemon juice if oranges are sweet)
- 10 Cups boiling water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- * Note: Use any lean white fish, small or large, cleaned, but with heads and tails. The greater the variety, the better.
- Salt fish lightly and let it stand for 1 hour. Heat olive oil and fry whole garlic cloves until browned. Remove garlic. Fry minced onion for 1 minute; pour in 10 cups boiling water. Boil until onion is soft. Add fish slices, cover, and boil 15 to 20 minutes longer. Strain soup and return to low fire. Remove bones and skin from fish. Stir in orange juice, season to taste, return fish to soup, reheat, and serve.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman