An outstanding appetizer, worthy of your most formal dinners or a backyard barbecue, this airy mousse is full of great flavor.
Fish Mousse in a White Butter Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- Fish Mousse:
- 2 ounces sole fillet; skinned
- 8 1/2 ounces peeled cooked prawns
- 1 egg white
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- a little lemon juice
- 3/4 Cup double or whipping cream
- 6 large round lettuce leaves
- White Butter Sauce:
- 3 shallots; finely chopped
- 4 1/2 ounces white wine
- 4 1/2 ounces white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 1 Tablespoon creme fraiche
- 8 1/2 ounces butter in small cubes; chilled
- 2 tomatoes; skinned, seeded and diced
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Fish mousse: Place the sole and prawns in a food processor and process until well combined. Add the egg white and process for 10 seconds. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste and process to blend then, with the motor running, slowly pour in the cream and mix in well. Chill.
- Meanwhile prepare the moulds: Line 6 individual darioles or small ramekins with cling film, leaving a good overhang. Plunge each lettuce leaf into boiling water, lift out on a slotted spoon into a bowl of iced water. Drain, pat dry and use to line the moulds. Do not trim.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/gas 4.
- Pipe or spoon in the fish mousse mixture, bring over the ends of the lettuce to cover, followed by the cling film. Cover each mould with buttered foil, place in a roasting tin or shallow dish and pour around boiling water 2/3 up the sides of the moulds.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until just firm to a light touch of a finger. Remove from the oven.
- White butter sauce: Place the shallots, wine, vinegar and saffron into a small pan. Heat to the boil and reduce by 2/3. Add the creme fraiche and boil. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the butter, a piece at a time and strain on to the garnish.
- To serve: Turn out the warm timbale on to a plate - remove cling film, carefully spoon the sauce around and decorate with a sprig of chervil.
Per serving: 47 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (23% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 6mg Cholesterol; 23mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates