Fish en Escabeche
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Entertaining
- 1 pound firm white fish fillets; *
- 1/3 Cup lemon juice
- 1/3 Cup lime juice
- 1/4 Cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro; fresh, snipped, **
- 1 teaspoon oregano; fresh, snipped, ***
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 stuffed green olives;
- 2 jalapenos chiles
- 1/4 Cup onion; finely chopped, 1 small
- 1 clove garlic; finely chopped
- 1 Cup tomato; seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- * Fish should be Orange Roughy, Haddock, or Mackerel, cut into 1/2"
** If fresh Cilantro is not available, use 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves.
- *** If fresh oregano is not available, use 1/4 t dried oregano leaves.
- **** Olives should have pimiento stuffing.
- ***** Jalapeno Chiles should be seeded and chopped.
Heat 3/4-inch of water to boiling in 10-inch skillet; carefully place fish in water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, just until fish is opaque, about 30 seconds (DO NOT overcook or fish will fall apart); drain carefully. Mix remaining ingredients except tomato and avocado in a glass or plastic dish.
Stir in fish carefully. Cover and refrigerate 2 day, carefully stirring occasionally. Just before serving, gently stir in tomato and avocado; drain. Serve fish mixture on saltine crackers or tortilla chips, if desired.