Finnish Onion Pie is naturally sweetened by the onions, and deliciously flavorful. Best served with a simple salad, cup of soup or as a main course. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 Cup water, warm (105 to 116 degrees F.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet onions
- 1/4 pound diced smoked ham (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 Tablespoons oil or melted butter
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add salt, oil, oil or butter, and flour.
- Beat until dough is smooth and satiny. Cover, let rise for 1 hour (until doubled).
- Cut onions into thin slices. Place in frying pan along with ham and cook over low heat until onions are soft (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, eggs, salt to taste, and caraway seeds. Butter 10 inch pie, quiche or tart pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On lightly floured board, roll out pastry to fill prepared pan. Turn filling into lined pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is browned and pie is set.
Roast Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing is an outstanding recipe for a holiday meal, or one served any...
Luxembourg Cheese Cake is a tasty, creamy dessert offering a sweet ending to a delicious meal. Idea...
English Pea Crostini with Arugula and Parmesan makes a glorious start to any meal, but may also be s...
Shrimp with Chocolate is a popular dish in Venetian cooking, even though chocolate originated in Mex...