Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pies
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup cream or evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 Cup grated Swiss cheese
- 18 fiddlehead crosiers; cooked
- 4 slices bacon; fried crisp
- grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 eight-inch pastry shell; unbaked
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, cream and eggs; beat with a rotary egg beater.
- Add the salt, pepper and onions. Sprinkle half of the grated cheese in the bottom of the pastry shell.
- Arrange the fiddlehead tips over the cheese, then add the bacon, breaking it into bite-sized pieces.
- Pour in the milk mixture, add the rest of the cheese, and grate fresh nutmeg over the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the custard comes out clean.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
THE WILD FLAVOR by Marilyn Kluger (c) 1984 Jeremy P. Tarcher, Inc., Los Angeles, CA