Fennel Soup is a creamy, rich and high-fiber soup with distinctly French origins and flavors. Simply delightful, it is best served with crusty bread, or with crackers for more formal dinners.
- 12 sliced shallots; about
- 3 cloves garlic; sliced
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 pounds fennel bulbs; core removed, and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces Brandy (or Cognac or Grand Marnier)
- 1 1/2 Quarts chicken stock
- 1 Quart water
- Cook the shallots, garlic and orange zest in the olive oil in a large, shallow saucepan over medium-high heat until the shallots are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the fennel, reduce the heat to medium and slowly cook the fennel until light golden brown, about 20 minutes. (Keep an eye on the fennel as it cooks; if it cooks at too high a heat it will scorch, and that will make your soup gray and bitter.) Season again with salt and pepper.
- Add the brandy and cook, scraping up any brown bits, until the liquid evaporates. Add the chicken stock and water. Simmer over low heat until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree on high speed. Strain the soup through a mesh sieve and season to taste.
- The soup should be silky smooth and rich.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, transfer it to a clean saucepan and cook the soup over medium heat, reducing the liquid further, until it reaches the desired texture.
- Garnish with a sprig of fennel.
Each serving: 269 calories; 143 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 23 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 3.77 grams fiber.
NOTES : Recipe from chef Ryan Hardy at Rustique in Aspen, CO
The incredible flavor of Grilled Chicken Salad with Cilantro Pesto Mayonnaise makes a perfect sandwi...
Warming you to the bones, this deeply flavorful soup is rich, comforting and thoroughly enjoyable. ...
Rhubarb Tarte Tatin served with Mascarpone is an outstanding British dessert of impeccable quality, ...
Petersilienkartoffeln makes a wonderful side dish with a wide variety of dishes from Weiner Schnitze...