Fennel Soup is a creamy, rich and high-fiber soup with distinctly French origins and flavors. Simply delightful, it is best served with crusty bread, or with crackers for more formal dinners.
- 12 sliced shallots; about
- 3 cloves garlic; sliced
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 pounds fennel bulbs; core removed, and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces Brandy (or Cognac or Grand Marnier)
- 1 1/2 Quarts chicken stock
- 1 Quart water
- Cook the shallots, garlic and orange zest in the olive oil in a large, shallow saucepan over medium-high heat until the shallots are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the fennel, reduce the heat to medium and slowly cook the fennel until light golden brown, about 20 minutes. (Keep an eye on the fennel as it cooks; if it cooks at too high a heat it will scorch, and that will make your soup gray and bitter.) Season again with salt and pepper.
- Add the brandy and cook, scraping up any brown bits, until the liquid evaporates. Add the chicken stock and water. Simmer over low heat until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree on high speed. Strain the soup through a mesh sieve and season to taste.
- The soup should be silky smooth and rich.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, transfer it to a clean saucepan and cook the soup over medium heat, reducing the liquid further, until it reaches the desired texture.
- Garnish with a sprig of fennel.
Each serving: 269 calories; 143 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 23 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 3.77 grams fiber.
NOTES : Recipe from chef Ryan Hardy at Rustique in Aspen, CO
Fresh Blueberry and Lemon Parfait is an absolute gem of a dessert. The exceptional blend of blueberr...
Amaretto Peach Ice Cream pairs two glorious flavors, peach and almond, to yield an sultry, smooth an...
Delightful Cheesy Mushroom Canapes can make a simple party a great event. Combine these little treas...
These marvelous Sweet Pickle Chips are tasty and make a great accompaniment with sandwiches and burg...