A delicious blend of Indian spices well suited to curries, lamb, pork, chicken, fish and vegetable dishes, this Fancy Curry Powder is an essential staple for your kitchen. A good curry powder is as much a creation of individual tastes as it is a recipe formula. Be creative and find your own happy spice mix.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon (about 20 pods) cardamom seeds (cracked with a cleaver to release seeds)
- 3 Tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon mustard seeds
- 6 cloves, whole
- 1 3 inch cinnamon stick, thin and broken into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon mace, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 pinch cayenne, generous
- 2 Tablespoons turmeric, ground
- 1 chili pepper, toasted and dried (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 225 degree F.
- In a small pan, combine fenugreek, cardamom, coriander, cumin and mustard seeds, cloves, and broken cinnamon stick.
- Bake for 15 minutes, shaking the pan a few times. Let cool.
- In bowl, combine the toasted spices with the mace, nutmeg, cayenne, turmeric and pepper.
- Place in a spice mill and grind to a powder.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Makes a 1/2 cup of curry powder.
If a sandwich can near perfection, the Apulian Grilled Steak Sandwich is right up there at the pinna...
Soupa Tsatziki is a tantalizing, refreshing and extraordinary chilled soup often found in the tavern...
A simply wonderful beef casserole that gets much of its flavor from the extraordinary pairing of sto...
Chopped Chicken Liver is a wonderful recipe perfect suited to be served as an appetizer, main course...