For an amazing and comforting treat, serve our Family Lentil Soup to your loved ones. They’ll adore it and you. Delish, regular or creamy. Soon, a family favorite.
Family Lentil Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled
- 1 carrot, scraped
- 2 sticks celery, washed
- 8 ounces (250 g) red lentils, washed
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pints (1.2 litre) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon (7 g) chopped parsley
- wholewheat bread croutons
- Heat the oil over a low heat in a large saucepan.
- Dice the vegetables finely, add to the oil and allow to cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the lentils, parsley, bay leaf, bouquet garni, seasoning and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 35 minutes, until the lentils are cooked.
- If necessary, skim the surface from time to time.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Serve with chopped parsley sprinkled on top and a dish of croutons.
Variation: Cream of Lentil Soup can be made by pureeing the soup and reheating slowly with 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) milk and 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) heavy cream.