The combination of espresso with banana, cream cheese glaze and walnuts makes an exceptionally good cake to serve for an afternoon coffee break, lunch or after dinner snack. Great for entertaining.
- 3/4 Cup butter; room temperature
- 1/4 Cup shortening; plus more
- 2 1/4 Cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Kahlua
- 2 Cups mashed bananas (about 4 bananas)
- 3 1/2 Cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup chopped walnuts; (optional)
- Espresso Cream Cheese Drip Glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 Cups sifted powdered sugar; or more
- water; as needed
- 2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Cream butter and shortening with sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, then vanilla, Kahlua and mashed bananas, scraping down often to blend batter evenly. (If mixture is very curdled in appearance, stir in 1 Cup of flour from recipe).
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and fold into batter. Fold in walnuts. Spoon into generously greased 13- by 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Drizzle with Espresso Cream Cheese Drip Glaze or garnish with powdered sugar.
- For the espresso cream cheese drip glaze, cream cream cheese with butter. Stir in instant espresso and powdered sugar, and blend well to make soft glaze. Thin with water, if necessary, to achieve a just-pourable glaze. Drizzle or spread onto cooled cake. Garnish with chopped walnuts.
Each of 14 servings: 540 calories; 286 mg sodium; 98 mg cholesterol; 20 grams fat; 84 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams protein; 0.27 gram fiber.
NOTES : Recipe by Marcy Goldman, a Montreal-based food writer and professional bakery and pastry chef and a regular contributor the LA Times
In Greek restaurants or tavernas throughout Europe, Taramasolata is is a favored appetizer, but unco...
Cheese Grits Souffle is a simply wonderful recipe enjoyable at brunch or dinner. Combining the flavo...
The delights of Chocolate-Dipped Hazelnut Biscotti are hard to match for their exceptional flavor. P...
Even the simple Samosa adapted to New World foods like the potato. Simple, delicious, crunchy and i...