Epicurus Surf and Turf
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Epicurus Steak Spice
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper (Cayenne)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
Lobster and Steak
- 1 Maine lobster tail
- 2 filet mignon (8 ounce each)
- 2 teaspoons Epicurus Steak Spice (or like seasoning)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper mix
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/2 Cup egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 Cups clarified butter
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- orange juice to thin Hollandaise
- 2 Tablespoons dried tarragon
- 1/3 Cup minced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cup tarragon vinegar
- Lemon Hollandaise
- Tarragon Reduction
- 1 Tablespoon minced parsley
Sea Salt Baked Potato
- 2 Idaho potato of good, equal size
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons whipped butter
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons scallions, sliced thin
- 1 pound butter
- 1 pound butter
- 4 ounces minced parsley
- Blend ingredients for Epicurus Steak Spice in a food processor and pulse 2 or 3 times to blend and break up parsley flakes. Store in an airtight jar. Use on steaks and chops.
- Wash skin off potato under cold water until clean. Rub potato with butter and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.For service: split open and top with butter, sour cream and scallions.
- You will need Hollandaise and Tarragon Reduction prepared in order to make the Bearnaise sauce.
- For the Hollandaise, whip egg yolks with the lemon juice and water. Stir vigorously, but do not scramble. Add clarified butter slowly to incorporate. Season with salt, white pepper, and Tabasco. Thin to proper consistency with orange juice.
- To prepare the Tarragon Reduction combine all ingredients and reduce almost dry over high heat, but monitor to prevent total evaporation.
- Now fold Tarragon Reduction and parsley into the Hollandaise mixture to make Bearnaise. Reserve Bearnaise for service.
- To prepare parsley butter bring butter and butter to room temperature. Put butter and butter into a mixing bowl. Mix until blended smooth, and add parsley, and mix for 30 seconds. Do not over mix, butter will turn green.
- Place filet on a seasoning platter. Dust with Epicurus Steak Spice, lightly coat, and brush with oil. Grill steak to desired temperature and brush on all sides with parsley butter.
- Brush Maine lobster tail with parsley butter. Season with salt and pepper and paprika. Bake in oven until cooked through. Brush again with parsley butter immediately before serving to create a nice sheen.
- Serve filet, Maine lobster tail, and sea salt baked potato on a warm platter with Bearnaise sauce, drawn butter, and a lemon wrap.
- Garnish with watercress sprig.
We find that serving the potato on the side makes a more elegant presentation.