This delightful salad with spinach and apple, pairs perfectly with goat cheese for an absolutely great recipe. Perfect as a main course salad, or a starter and goes very well with turkey, chicken, grilled steak or shrimp. We only wish more restaurants served this one.
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 bunch spinach; stems removed
- 1 Cup thinly-sliced red onion
- 1 Cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 Cup light-flavored olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 dash dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- Place the apple stem-side up and cut downward, from stem end to root, into quarters. Discard the core. Cut each slice into thin strips about 1/2-inch wide, then cut long strips in half crosswise.
- Peel the carrot and cut in half crosswise. Cut each half lengthwise into 5 slices. Cut each slice lengthwise into 4 slices. Wash the spinach thoroughly. Cut off the stems. Cut each leaf into quarters. Combine the apple, carrot, onion, tomatoes and spinach in a bowl.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar, honey and oil. Season the dressing to taste with salt, pepper and oregano. Add enough dressing to coat the salad ingredients, mixing carefully. Test for seasoning.
- Divide the salad among 3 plates. Crumble goat cheese over each salad.
Each serving: 462 calories; 197 mg sodium; 4 mg cholesterol; 38 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 31 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams protein; 5.34 grams fiber.
NOTES : Recipe from executive chef Jose Luis Santoyo at Promenade Ristorante, 710 W. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA and Rosa's, 88 J. Jesus Montano in Cerano, which is located about 1 1/2 hours from the city of Guanajuato.
Traditional Fondue is a glorious Swiss recipe of melted, flavored cheeses, wine, kirsch and spices. ...
An ideal accompaniment to summertime barbecue, grilled meats or fish, sandwiches or salads. Southern...
There's something incredible, luscious, romantic and seductive about Prosciutto Wrapped Pears. Simp...
There's something so incredibly wonderful about a Blueberry Crisp. The flavor, texture and comfort ...