English Pea Crostini with Arugula and Parmesan makes a glorious start to any meal, but may also be served as hors d’oeuvre. Healthy and delicious.
English Pea Crostini with Arugula and Parmesan
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 2 Cups shelled English or other peas, preferably fresh
- 7 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 rustic country bread, crostini slices, toasted
- 1 bunch fresh arugula
- 1 lemon
- 4 Parmesan cheese, large shards
- Bring pot of salted water to boil. Add peas, cook briefly then drain and plunge into ice water. Set aside 1/4 cup; puree the rest with 4 Tablespoons oil, mint, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle bread with 1 Tablespoon oil. Place on sheet pan; bake at 375 degrees F until both sides are toasted.
- Portion pea mixture atop. Toss reserved peas and arugula with a squeeze of lemon juice, remaining oil and salt and pepper to taste.Place atop pea mixture; top with cheese. Serve at once.
English peas aren't always available, nor are fresh peas. It's perfectly suitable to use frozen peas for this recipe. The results will not be as good, but the results will be enjoyable, nonetheless.