A delicious pairing of mild, subtle English cucumbers with vivacious, aromatic ginger. Produces an outstanding conserve that goes well with a variety of foods.
English Cucumber and Ginger Conserve
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Condiments
Serves: 12 1/2 pints
- 4 large English cucumbers
- 1 piece ginger as large as a lemon
- 8 Cups sugar (4 pounds)
- Peel and thinly slice the cucumbers; cover with sugar and let stand 24 hours.
- Strain the cucumber juice and sugar into a preserving kettle, reserving the cucumber slices, and simmer the juice gently until the sugar dissolves.
- Tie the ginger into a cheesecloth bag and bruise it with a hammer. Add the bag to the syrup and boil for 45 minutes. Add the cucumber slices and boil for 10 minutes.
- Leave mixture in the preserving kettle and let it stand, covered, for 12 hours. Boil the mixture hard for 15 minutes; remove and discard the ginger.
- Ladle the conserve into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.