Absolutely delicious by any measure, English Cheddar and Vegetable Medley Soup is perfect for a full meal or as a starter course at your next dinner party.
English Cheddar and Vegetable Medley Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 onions; chopped
- 3 carrots; peeled, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery; sliced thin
- 2 baking potatoes; peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 butternut squash; peeled & seeded and fiber removed
- 8 Cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Cups skim milk
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Cups Cheddar cheese, sharp, grated
- 10 bacon strips; chopped, fried until crisp
- 1 Cup white Cheddar cheese; cubed into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 Cup parsley; chopped
- 1 loaf French bread
- For the French Bread, slice and broil on both sides to make toast. Set aside.
- In a large pot, combine the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes and squash. Add the chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the vegetables 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- Strain the solids from the liquid and puree until smooth in a food processor or blender.
- Return the pureed vegetables to the hot cooking liquid. Stir in the milk, heavy cream and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring just to the boil, then lower the heat. Add the shredded cheese and stir until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings with additional salt and pepper.
- Transfer the soup to a Tureen and garnish with the bacon in the center of the soup, the cheese surrounding the bacon and the parsley sprinkled on top.
- Serve with the slices of toasted French Bread.