A decorative, delicious appetizer with elegant presentation, this appetizer is a gem. The crisp, cruncy and spicy flavor of Belgian endive is enhanced by creamy cheese and decorative tomatoes.
- 6 medium-sized heads Belgian endive
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese (softened)
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 2 ounces dried tomatoes, in oil (chopped)
- basil leaves or watercress
- flower for garnish
- ABOUT 30 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING OR EARLY IN DAY: Separate leaves from heads of Belgian endive (you should be able to get 6 pretty leaves from each endive). Reserve small leaves and centers for salad another day. Rinse leaves under running cold water; pat dry with paper towels.
- In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in milk until blended. With spoon, stir in chopped dried tomatoes. Spoon cream-cheese filling into decorating bag with large rosette tube. Place a basil leaf or small watercress sprig on each endive leaf. Pipe some filling onto basil on wide end of each endive leaf. Arrange endive leaves on platter; garnish platter with flower. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Calories per serving: 30, Fat grams per serving: 3, Cholesterol per serving: 7