Eggplant Stuffed l'Italienne
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 8 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups bread crumbs, home made or prepared
- 1 can 7oz tuna fish, canned; optional
- 6 each anchovy filets, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons capers, minced
- parsley and basil (optional)
- 1/2 Cup olives, finely minced
- 5 each eggplants, very small or
- 1 large eggplant
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, if using the small ones and take out the flesh, being careful not to damage the skin. Mince the pulp well and place in colander after sprinkling with coarse(sea or kosher) salt for 30 minutes. Do the same with the eggplant shells and put them on a paper towel to drain.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the well drained eggplant pulp and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and cook the mixture over high heat until the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the other ingredients. (Note:I do not use the tuna fish or the olives if I'm making this as a side dish;but they would be necessary if this is to be a main dish entree.) Cook the mixture for 2 more minutes. Season with care as the anchovies and capers are quite strongly flavored.
- Fill the eggplant halves with the mixture. there will probably be leftover ingredients to be placed in another (covered) baking dish. Drizzle the leftover olive oil on top and bake for 1 hour.