Egg Salad with Artichoke and Picholine Olives
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sandwiches
- 4 hard-boiled eggs; chopped
- 1/4 Cup pitted chopped Picholine olives
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon minced orange zest
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 small artichokes
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette
- 1/2 bunch arugula
- Combine chopped eggs and olives in bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together olive oil, orange zest and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Add remaining lemon juice to 1 cup water.
- Tear off small leaves attached to stem of 1 artichoke. Trim stem about 1/2 inch from base. Cut artichoke crosswise about 1 inch above base. Trim away dark green part to reveal heart. Scrape out choke with small spoon. Shave heart into very thin, roughly shaped pieces with vegetable peeler or very sharp paring knife. Place shavings in lemon water to retard discoloration. Repeat with second artichoke. Drain shavings well and add to egg mixture. Add olive oil and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut baguette into 4 pieces and cut each piece in half lengthwise. Lightly toast halves if desired. Place few arugula leaves on cut side of 4 baguette halves. Top with egg salad and remaining baguette halves to make sandwiches.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Each serving: 316 calories; 557 mg sodium; 214 mg cholesterol; 12 grams fat; 39 grams carbohydrates; 13 grams protein; 0.76 gram fiber.