This traditional Chocolate Eclair recipe uses vanilla pastry cream as a filling and rich, almost ganache-like chocolate glaze.
Eclairs au Chocolat (Chocolate Eclairs)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- How to make chocolate eclairs:
- Prepare vanilla pastry cream according to directions and chill, covered securely with plastic wrap so no air bubbles appear on the surface.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and lightly grease 1 baking sheet. Spoon the prepared basic choux pastry dough into a pastry bag fitted with a wide, plain tip and pipe 8 5-inch lengths onto the baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the eclairs puff up and turn golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before filling.
- Make the chocolate glaze while the eclairs are baking and cooling. Place the chopped chocolate in a heat safe bowl and set aside. Heat the heavy cream just to boiling over low-medium heat and remove from the heat immediately. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate and stir until it forms a thin, smooth consistency. Set the chocolate glaze aside at room temperature for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To assemble the eclairs:
- Fit a pastry bag with a medium-sized plain tip and fill it with vanilla pastry cream. Insert the tip of the bag into the end of an eclair and pipe about 2 1/2 tablespoons of pastry cream into it. Gently spread 1 tablespoon of chocolate glaze onto or carefully dip the top of each filled eclair into the glaze before serving.
- This Eclair au Chocolat recipe makes 8 servings.
Make this treat using a super simple choux pastry dough for a base and you will have the exact pastry seen in bakery windows worldwide. Not a seasoned baker? This chocolate eclair recipe is beyond delicious, very easy to make, and attractive, even if you're not a pro.