Easy Boston Cream Trifles combines prepared ingredients with homemade ganache to create an amazing, delicious rum-flavored holiday treat.
Easy Boston Cream Trifles
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 pre-made butter pound cake or angel food cake
- 2 packages vanilla pudding mix, prepared for custard filling
- 6 Tablespoons light rum
- 9 ounces premium quality dark chocolate (at least 65% cocoa)
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon dark rum
- Prepare the custard and allow to cool.
- In individual goblets or wide-mouth glasses, evenly portion chunks of cake, alternating them with scoops of custard.
- Spoon in 2 to 3 teaspoons of rum per trifle
- Top with ganache.
- Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has just come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Stir in the rum if desired.
- Allow the ganache to cool slightly before pouring over the trifles.