Warm, flavorful and comforting, this devoutly prepared Easter Soup graces Spanish tables for the Semana Santa holiday.
Author: Esther Perez Solsona
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1/4 kg tinned chickpeas
- 1/4 kg dry white beans
- 1/4 kg peas
- 1 sprig fresh fennel
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 300 gr dried salted cod
- 1 sweet dried red pepper
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into small; cubes
- 5-6 strands saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 Tablespoons Spanish extra virgin oil and; salt
- De-salt the cod by soaking in water overnight (change the water 3 or 4 times). Also soak the beans in plenty water.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the drained beans, garlic bulb, onion, tomato bay leaf and dried pepper. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Cover with water and cook gently until all the ingredients are tender. Now add the drained chickpeas and the sprig of fennel.
- While this is cooking, drain the cod and cut into cubes.
- Before the chickpeas are soft, add the potatoes, crumbled saffron, the peas and cubed cod, and finish cooking gently for 10 to15 minutes.