Easter Bunny Breads
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
- 2 packages yeast, quick rise
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 Cups flour
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, large
- 8 kisses, milk chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon sugar, confectioners'
- About 2 hours before serving or early in the day.
- In bowl, combine yeast, sugar, salt, and 1 Cup flour. In saucepan over medium heat, heat butter and 1 Cup water until very warm (125 degrees).
- With mixer at low speed, beat liquid into dry ingredients. At medium speed, beat 2 minutes. Reserve 1 egg white; beat in egg and egg yolk with 1 Cup flour; beat 2 minutes. Stir in 2 1/4 cups flour.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, working in about 1/4 Cup flour while kneading. Shape dough into ball; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 cookie sheets. Cut dough into eighths. For 1 bunny; cut 1 piece dough in half; shape half into ball, with a kiss in center, for body. Place on cookie sheet. Cut other half in half; shape half into ball; brush with egg white; place next to large ball, tucking slightly under it for head. From remaining half, pinch off 3/4-indh piece for tail and shape 2 ears.
- Brush tail and ears with egg white; tuck slightly under bunny. Brush body with egg white. Make 3 more bunnies. Bake 15 minutes or until browned. Cool on rack. Repeat to make 4 more.
- Mix confectioners' sugar with about 1/4 teaspoon water and a hint of red food coloring (for pink); use to draw face on bunnies. If you like, tie bows around bunnies' necks.
- Yields 8 servings