Duchesse Potatoes may be served simply or in an elegant presentation. No matter how you prepare them, they are always a delightful surprise. Luscious and visually appealing, they take mashed potatoes to the ultimate level.
- 4 pounds large potatoes suitable for mashing
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick) cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 Cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Peel and quarter potatoes and in a large saucepan cover with salted cold water by 2 inches. Bring water to a boil and simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are simmering, in a small saucepan heat butter with milk over moderately-low heat until melted and keep warm.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and force through a ricer or food mill into a bowl. With an electric mixer beat in milk mixture, yolks, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread about one third potatoes in a buttered 1-quart gratin dish and transfer remaining potatoes to a pastry bag fitted with a 3/4-inch star tip. On potatoes in dish pipe potatoes in the bag. Potatoes may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered loosely.
- Bake potatoes until heated through and tops of "ghosts" are golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Lemon Cream Pie is a refreshing, cooling recipe that is a crowd-pleaser, particularly on hot summer ...
Apple and pork are a perfect pairing, each complementing the other's flavor and texture. Braised Po...
Blitzkuchen mit Apfeln or Quick Cake with Apple is a delicious, simple apple cake with an incredible...
The American classic, Deep Dish Apple Pie is always a treat. Filled with spicy, sweet and flaky good...