Duchesse Potatoes may be served simply or in an elegant presentation. No matter how you prepare them, they are always a delightful surprise. Luscious and visually appealing, they take mashed potatoes to the ultimate level.
- 4 pounds large potatoes suitable for mashing
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick) cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 Cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Peel and quarter potatoes and in a large saucepan cover with salted cold water by 2 inches. Bring water to a boil and simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are simmering, in a small saucepan heat butter with milk over moderately-low heat until melted and keep warm.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and force through a ricer or food mill into a bowl. With an electric mixer beat in milk mixture, yolks, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread about one third potatoes in a buttered 1-quart gratin dish and transfer remaining potatoes to a pastry bag fitted with a 3/4-inch star tip. On potatoes in dish pipe potatoes in the bag. Potatoes may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered loosely.
- Bake potatoes until heated through and tops of "ghosts" are golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Easter Babka or Kulich is served for breakfast in Russia on Orthodox Easter morning. The delicious b...
In some churches small buns called Pax cakes (symbolic of peace and goodwill) are given to the congr...
The wealth of flavor in Cock-a-Leekie (Chicken and Leek Soup) is immeasurable, the leeks adding a su...
The wonderful flavor of pork is magnificently enhanced in Baby Back Barbecue Ribs that produces deli...