Dublin Coddle is a hearty, traditional stew packed with sausage, potatoes, and bacon. It is forever tied to the capital city of Ireland.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 pound bacon slices
- 2 pounds pork sausage links
- bacon fat or vegetable oil
- 2 large onions; sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 large potatoes; thickly sliced
- 2 carrots; thickly sliced
- 1 large bunch of fresh herbs; tied with string
- black pepper
- hard cider (apple wine) or apple cider
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Lightly fry bacon until crisp. Place in large cooking pot. Brown sausage in some bacon grease or vegetable oil. Remove and add to pot. Soften sliced onions and whole garlic cloves in fat, then add to pot with potatoes and carrots. Bury the bunch of herbs in the middle of the mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover with cider.
- Cook 1 1/2 hours over moderate heat; do not boil. Garnish with chopped parsley.