Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 8 to 10
- 12 pound turkey
- 2 pounds mixed dried fruit
- 1 Cup golden raisins
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 4 oranges, juice from California
- 1 can (92.5 ounces) chiles chipotles
- 3 Cups tequila
- 3 Cups Grand Marnier
- 2 sticks unsalted butter cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Rinse turkey and pat dry inside and out. Set aside.
- Combine dried fruit, raisins, and apples in a medium-size bowl.
- Put orange juice and chiles (with sauce that clings to them) into a blender or food processor and process for 1 minute. Add 1 cup each of tequila and Grand Marnier, then pour the mixture over the fruit and let rest 15 minutes.
- Drain the fruit, reserving the liquid.
- Cut half the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and combine with the fruit.
- Stuff cavity of the turkey with most of the fruit. Place the turkey in a roasting bag, arrange remaining fruit on top of the bird and pour reserved orange juice-liquor mix over it.
- Combine remaining tequila and Grand Marnier.
- Have ready a basting syringe fitted with a metal injection nozzle and inject the mixture all over the turkey. Melt remaining butter and carefully pour over the turkey in the roasting bag.
- Seal bag and cut 1/4-inch slit on the top to let steam escape.
- Place in a roasting pan and roast for 2 1/2 hours.
- Every 30 minutes open bag (being careful to shield your face from steam) and inject more liquor, eventually using it up.
- When ready to serve, slit open bag, arrange turkey on a platter, and scoop out the fruit stuffing.
- Place all the fruit in a serving bowl. Strain the juices that have accumulated in the bag, skim off any fat, and serve in a gravy boat.