This simple preparation is packed with flavor and makes a great spread for appetizers or as a replacement for tomato sauce on specialty pizzas.
Dried Fig and Onion Compote
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniment, Condiment
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 ounces dried figs
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- ground allspice, to taste
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in sauté pan over medium-high heat; add onions. Cook to a deep brown color, being careful not to burn. Remove from heat.
- Rehydrate figs in warm water. Trim ends and halve each fig lengthwise. Quickly sauté in remaining 1 Tablespoon butter.
- Combine figs and onions with molasses, blending well. Season with allspice.