Down and Dirty Dirty Rice
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 3 slices bacon; chopped
- 1/2 pound ground beef or chicken livers
- 1/2 onion; chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper; chopped
- 1 celery stalk; chopped
- 1 Cup rice
- 1 1/2 Cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon file powder; see * Note
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning; see * Note
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions; thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- * Note: File powder and Cajun seasoning can be found in the spice aisle of well-stocked supermarkets.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and ground beef and cook until beef browns, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery and saute until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add chicken stock and bring to simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add file powder, Cajun seasoning and cayenne to taste. Cook until liquid has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in green onions and add salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe yields 3 to 4 servings.
- Each of 4 servings: 416 calories; 525 mg sodium; 41 mg cholesterol; 21 grams fat; 41 grams carbohydrates; 14 grams protein; 0.63 gram fiber.