Dorian's Rice Pudding with Cherry Topping, Glazed Almonds
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Rice Puddings
- 10 Cups milk
- 1 1/3 Cups sugar; plus
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom seeds; ground medium fine
- 2 Cups Basmati rice; washed
- 3 Tablespoons rose water, preferably French
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch saffron threads (to 2), optional
- 1 1/2 Cups whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- CHERRY Topping
- 3/4 Cup dried pitted Montmorency tart cherries
- 1 Cup water
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup water
- Glazed Almonds:
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Combine milk, 1 1/3 cups sugar and cardamom in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Add rice and return to boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until mixture is thickened but not stiff, 35 minutes.
- Break up saffron with fingers and toss in, if using. Cool. Add rose water, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Fold into cooled pudding. Chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Cherry Topping: Place cherries in saucepan. Add 3/4 cup water and sugar and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until cherries are softened, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup water and stir into cherries. Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Refrigerate to thicken further, 30 minutes. (Makes about 1 3/4 cups)
- Glazed Almonds: Dissolve sugar in water in small saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and melt. Add pinch or two of salt. Remove from heat and stir in almonds, tossing well to coat. Spread on baking sheet and broil 8 inches from heat source until golden brown, turning to brown evenly, about 5 minutes. Cool. (Makes about 3/4 cup)
- Assembly: Turn rice pudding into 10 or 12 serving dishes. Place Cherry Topping in center (if too much, place some in center and serve rest on side). Surround with Glazed Almonds and form outer ring of pistachios.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
- Each of 12 servings: 566 calories; 141 mg sodium; 58 mg cholesterol; 22 grams fat; 82 grams carbohydrates; 12 grams protein; 0.38 gram fiber.