Donegal Cream is a luscious, creamy dessert enhanced with fresh fruit, usually berries, though peaches, apricots, or cherries may be used. Frozen fruit works well out of season.
- 15 fluid ounces / 440 ml Milk
- 1/2 Cup Irish oats (steel-cut oatmeal)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large orange
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 ounce gelatin
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 8 fluid ounces / 240 ml heavy cream
- fruit jam, enough to make a sauce
- fresh fruit, enough to layer
- Scald the milk (i.e., heat it to just before boiling but do not let it boil) and remove from heat. Add the oatmeal and the pinch of salt: stir, cover, and soak the oatmeal overnight in the milk.
- The next day, reheat the oatmeal and milk mixture just until it boils. Simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes: then remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the beaten egg, grated lemon rind, and sugar to taste. Dissolve the gelatin in the orange juice and water. Add this to the mixture when it's cooled, and then carefully fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour the whole mixture into a single glass bowl, or into individual parfait glasses, and leave to set. (You may want to stir the contents gently once or twice while they're setting, to keep the oats from sinking to the bottom.) Serve with more whipped cream and 3 to 4 tablespoons of your chosen fruit sauce on top.
- Allow the whole recipe's worth of oatmeal cream to set in a single bowl. Stir gently as above, so that the oatmeal is evenly distributed through the mixture when it's set. Then spoon it into parfait glasses, alternating layers of oatmeal cream with more whipped cream and drizzles of fruit sauce (and fruit if you want to). Also, if you want to cut back on the calories a little, you could substitute creme fraiche or beaten low-fat sour cream for the whipped cream.
Classically American, each portion of Blueberry Lemon Cobbler is a patriotic example of great cookin...
Mussels with Saffron Curry Cream is a simple recipe that's always a treat served as an appetizer or ...
Gourmet shops sell these Brie with Caramelized Pecans, delicious appetizer wheels of brie, for very ...
Pierre Franey, author of Country Pate with Pistachios was a good friend and mentor of our Publisher ...