Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Caramel Coated Baking Dish:
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons ; water
- 3 thick slices white or challah bread; crusts removed
- 14 ounces can sweet condensed milk
- 3/4 Cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg yolks; beaten
- 1 Tablespoon Vermouth
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounce can tropical fruit
- To make caramel coating, mix ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on medium heat. Stir until mixture begins to bubble and turns a caramel brown. Be very careful not to burn this.
- Pour hot caramel into a 1 1/2 quart pre-warmed baking dish. Holding the dish with potholders, roll the hot caramel around dish to coat sides. Set aside to cool.
- To make the pudding, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, tear the bread into pieces and mix with milk, water, baking powder, egg yolks, vermouth, flour and vanilla. Mix drained fruit into the batter. Pour mixture into the caramel-coated baking dish.
- Set baking dish in a pan of water and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Remove dish from pan of water and chill. To serve, invert dish onto serving platter and slice.