Pan Bagnat is a specialty sandwich from the South of France and adjoining Italian communities along the Mediterranean. Full of rich flavors, it’s easy to make and delightful to eat.
- 1 Tablespoon organic red wine vinegar
- 3 1/2 ounces roasted red and yellow peppers, drained (reserve the oil)
- 3 1/2 ounces marinated artichokes, drained (reserve the oil)
- 14 ounce French white boule loaf
- 1 1/2 ounces Italian Prosciutto
- 1 1/2 ounces Genoa salami
- 1 1/2 ounces sweet Sopressata
- 1 1/2 ounces Capicola ham
- 1 1/2 ounces Mortadella
- 7 ounces packaged Italian Bocconcini mozzarella with sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tablespoons marinated Greek olives (Kalamata), pitted and chopped
- 1 ounce watercress, rinsed and drained
- Whisk together the red wine vinegar and 3 Tablespoons reserved oil from the jar of peppers or artichokes. Season.
- Cut off the top third of the loaf to create a lid. Using your fingers, tear out some of the soft bread from the inside of the lid and base to make a shell.
- Leave a 3/4 to 1-inch layer of soft bread between the shell and the crust.
- Layer the Prosciutto, Sopressata, Capicola, Salami and Mortadella, tomatoes, torn pieces of mozzarella, peppers and artichokes, scattering the olives between the layers. Drizzle over the vinegar and oil mixture. Top with watercress, replace the lid and press down firmly.
- Wrap tightly in butcher's paper, tied with string and place a weight, such as a heavy book or can, on top of the loaf for two hours and refrigerate.
- Cut into thick slices to serve.
For an extraordinary dish of comfort food, perfect for Spring, try Creamed Chicken and Biscuits. Sup...
Absolutely delicious by any measure, English Cheddar and Vegetable Medley Soup is perfect for a full...
A richly flavorful confection, Grandmother's Molasses Taffy is perfect for the cooler days of the ye...
Rich bacon and tasty Cheddar flavors come through with every delicious spoonful of Bacon-Topped Chee...