Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- 1 Cup sugar
- 6 eggs; separated
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 2 7 ounce package dried ladyfingers (about 24)
- 2 Cups brewed espresso; *see note
- 1 unsweetened ground cocoa; to dust
- 1 small semisweet chocolate; to shave
- * lightly flavored with about 4 Tablespoons amaretto, marsala, or any favorite lique
- 1. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks. Gradually add the mascarpone and continue stirring until the mixture becomes creamy. In another bowl, whip the egg whites to a meringue consistency (stiff peaks). Carefully fold the meringue into the mascarpone mixture.
- Quickly and lightly dip enough ladyfingers or biscuits into the brewed espresso to line the bottom of an 8-by-8-inch pan or glass serving dish. Cover the ladyfingers or biscuits with one half of the mascarpone mixture, followed by a thorough dusting of cocoa and shaving of chocolate. Repeat the layering process. (If you prefer a less moist dessert, you can divide the layers into thirds, or dip your ladyfingers even faster.)
- Once assembled, shake the pan lightly to settle the ingredients. Chill at least two hours (overnight is preferable) before serving. Cut into portions and serve.