Deer Camp Venison Chili
Author: Don F. Netek Jr
Recipe type: Wild Game
- 1 pound pinto beans
- 3 pounds ground venison
- 2 medium onions; chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- garlic powder, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 10 Cups water
- 2 small Rotel tomatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- Use at least a 6-quart pot, pinto beans should be soaked in water overnight to make soft and the water changed at least twice. Brown ground venison in pot.
- Add the chopped onions, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder, salt and black pepper to taste.
- After meat is browned add the 10 cups of water, and bring to boil.
- Add the 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes and 4 slices of bacon, and softened pinto beans.
- Continue to let mixture boil. Be sure to stir, mixture will thicken. Be sure to cover pot.
- You may add small amounts of water as level in pot lowers.
- Taste when beans are done.
- Chili is now ready for everyone at the deer camp.
Recipe Source: THE SPORTSMAN'S COOKBOOK AND THEN SOME by Don F. Netek Jr.