The incredible American classic, Deep Dish Apple Pie is a treat throughout the year. Filled with spicy, sweet and flaky goodness, each bite is a pleasure unto itself. Perfect with ice cream or warm cheddar cheese and a fine glass of Port.
- 1 1/4 Cups flour; plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 Cup shortening
- 1/4 Cup ice water
- 5 tart apples such as Granny Smith; peeled, and thinly sliced (about 6 Cups)
- 3 Tablespoons butter; melted
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 Cup raisins
- butter; for greasing pan
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 egg
- vanilla ice cream; for serving
- whipped cream; for serving
- Caramel Sauce
- Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle water over surface, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix with fork until dough holds together.
- Shape gently into ball on floured surface, then flatten to 1 inch thick circle, evening up rough edges. Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin into about 12 inch diameter circle.
- Toss apple slices with melted butter. Mix sugar with orange zest. Layer apple slices, then raisins, then sugar in greased 9-inch pie pan. Sprinkle top with orange juice. Cover with Flaky Pastry, crimping edges of dough to pan. Beat egg then brush top of crust. Cut steam vents in top.
- Bake at 450 degrees 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until crust is golden and shiny, at least 35 minutes. Serve warm.
- Accompany each slice of pie with a scoop of ice cream, or whipped cream, or top with Caramel Sauce. May also be served with a wedge of cheddar cheese and a glass of fine port.
Delicious, nutty, moist and crunchy, Maple Nut Rugelach are tender morsels filled with joy and delig...
Sweet and delectable, Apricot Clafouti is a wonderful dessert and always a pleasure. You can substit...
Apricot and Amaretti Tart is a delicious frolic of fabulous flavors that tantalize and delight the p...
Shown here with Caramelized Onions, the World's Best Chicken Liver Pate lives up to its name, delive...