Curried Vegetable Soup is an incredibly flavorful, rich soup full of tastes from around the globe. An international melting pot, just like America.
Curried Vegetable Soup
Author: Adapted from Elaine Martin and Ruth Carter
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 10 to 12 servings
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2/3 Cup onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/3 Cup carrots, diced
- 1/3 Cup celery, diced
- 2 Tablespoons bell peppers, cored, diced
- 1/3 Cup yellow squash, diced
- 1/3 Cup zucchini, diced
- 2 Tablespoons cauliflower florets
- 2 Tablespoons mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/3 Cup potatoes, cubed
- 1/3 Cup corn
- 2 Tablespoons peas
- 2 1/2 Cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 Cup tomato, diced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh mint, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- broccoli florets, steamed
- Thai chili peppers, sliced on the bias
- sprig of dill
- In stockpot, heat butter over moderate flame.
- Saute onion until golden. Add ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, turmeric, chili powder, cumin, coriander seeds and mustard.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with broccoli floret, chili pepper, and a sprig of dill.