Cumberland Rum Butter
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 8 ounces
- 100 g (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 100 g (4 ounce) soft light brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) rum
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) grated orange peel
- grated nutmeg
- 1. Put the butter in a bowl and cream it until very soft and light-coloured.
- Crush any lumps in the sugar. Work it into the butter until completely blended in.
- Work the rum into the butter, a few drops at a time, taking care not to let the mixture separate.
- Mix in the orange peel. Taste and add a little grated nutmeg.
- Pile the rum butter into a dish, and leave to firm up before serving; or turn lightly into a screw-topped jar, and store in a cool place until required.
- Use within 4 days, or refrigerate for longer storage.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes about 225 g (8 oz)