Cuban Black Bean Soup is a rich, aromatic soup, wonderful anytime of the year. Classic flavors portray the exciting tastes of Latin-American cooking. This is heartwarming, comforting food at its best.
- 1 pound black beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Italian frying pepper, halved
- olive oil, for sauteing, plus 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 white onion, large dice
- 1 red pepper, large dice
- 1 green pepper, large dice
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 Cup white vinegar
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped red onion, for garnish
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large stockpot, cover the beans with water, covering them by 2 inches. Add bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and Italian pepper. Bring to a low boil, then simmer until the beans are tender, about 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the pepper and bay leaf.
- In a saute pan, cook the onions, red, and green peppers until translucent. Puree in a blender, this is the sofrito.
- In the same pan, saute the garlic. Add to the beans, along with the sofrito, 1/4-cup olive oil, sugar, and vinegar. Season with salt and continue to cook until very thick, about 45 minutes.
- Portion the soup into individual bowls.
- Garnish with red onion and parsley. Serve piping hot.
Adapted from Aaron Sanchez and FoodTV Network.
Greek and Russian Orthodox Christians differ in many things, but both treasure their special Easter ...
Asian-Style Sauteed Greens is exceptional dish that crosses many Asian borders, offering superior fl...
Porter Cake is a dense, rich, fluffy and fruity cake with outstanding flavor, rather like a lighter ...
Roast Pork Loin Sofrito is an exceptionally delicious dish with roots in both Spain and Puerto Rico....