Making your own Croutons is easy, and a perfect way to produce the exact flavor you want. Perfect for soups, salads, and for stuffings.
Nothing can beat homemade croutons. They are also a fine way to utilize crusts and the last bits of stale bread.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 2 cups
- black pepper
- 1/3 Cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic; finely minced
- 2 Cups bread cubes
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly brown the diced garlic in the butter. Add cubed bread. (It works better if it is a little old, but if you only have fresh, just be more gentle).
- Toss well, but gently to coat the bread with the butter.
- Set in oven and roast for about 7 minutes, then stir well and roast again for about 7 minutes more.
- When bread has taken on a golden color, remove and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread out on a large platter to cool.
- Bread will become crunchy as it sits.
Oven-toasted bread cubes with butter and garlic.