This Croque Madame is a wonderful sandwich best served for breakfast or luncheon, though it’s ideal for brunch or a late night supper. Incredibly rich, this is not for the diet conscious.
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices sourdough bread
- 16 slices, cut into strips Camembert cheese
- 8 slices country ham
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Cup butter, cubed
- 1 Cup parsley, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, blanched, peeled
- about 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 Cups Mornay sauce (recipe follows)
- On a grill over medium heat, grill bread on one side. Top the non-grilled side of 4 slices with Camembert cheese. Place cheese-topped bread in broiler until the cheese is melted.
- In a large sauté pan, brown the ham. Place on top of the melted cheese. Top with the second slice of bread, grill-side up.
- In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, butter and parsley. Hollow out the tomatoes (but keep intact). Fill each tomato with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil. Fry the eggs.
- To serve, top each sandwich with a spoonful of Mornay sauce and a fried egg.
- Serve a tomato on the side.
For an extraordinary dish of comfort food, perfect for Spring, try Creamed Chicken and Biscuits. Sup...
Simply one of the best recipes we've found for Easter Sunday's holiday meal. Easter Roast Lamb with ...
There's quite a bit of nutritious value hidden behind the incredible flavors of Leek and Parsnips So...
These incredible vegetarian burgers are a glorious option for lunch or dinner. Match them up with c...