This Croque Madame is a wonderful sandwich best served for breakfast or luncheon, though it’s ideal for brunch or a late night supper. Incredibly rich, this is not for the diet conscious.
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices sourdough bread
- 16 slices, cut into strips Camembert cheese
- 8 slices country ham
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Cup butter, cubed
- 1 Cup parsley, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, blanched, peeled
- about 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 Cups Mornay sauce (recipe follows)
- On a grill over medium heat, grill bread on one side. Top the non-grilled side of 4 slices with Camembert cheese. Place cheese-topped bread in broiler until the cheese is melted.
- In a large sauté pan, brown the ham. Place on top of the melted cheese. Top with the second slice of bread, grill-side up.
- In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, butter and parsley. Hollow out the tomatoes (but keep intact). Fill each tomato with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil. Fry the eggs.
- To serve, top each sandwich with a spoonful of Mornay sauce and a fried egg.
- Serve a tomato on the side.
The ultimate comfort food, a dish of Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese is sure to please even the mo...
Herbed Summer Melon Salad is an extraordinary summertime recipe, perfect for either a dessert or an ...
Every sip of White Bean, Tomato, and Ham Soup will fill body and soul with warmth and comfort. The f...
Not quite vegetarian, but still a meatless dish, Eggplant Parmigiana is a Neapolitan classic and a f...