Crispy Scallops with Soy Dipping Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Shellfish
- 1 large egg white
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 Cup unseasoned dry breadcrumbs; (fine)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/4 pounds sea scallops; sliced in half horizontal
- DIPPING SAUCE 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce 2 Tablespoons rice-wine vinegar 1 Tablespoon scallions; chopped 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly oil a wire rack large enough to hold scallops in a single layer. Put the rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg white, vegetable oil, sesame oil, and soy sauce until creamy.
- In a shallow dish, stir together breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, and ginger.
- Add the scallops to the egg-white mixture, tossing to coat them well.
- Transfer the scallops to the breadcrumb mixture in two or three batches, tossing each with a spoon to coat evenly.
- Place the scallops on the prepared rack; they should not touch each other. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the outsides are golden and the centers are opaque.
- To Make Dipping Sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the sauce ingredients. Serve alongside the hot scallops. Serves 4
- Per serving: 280 calories; 9 grams fat, 32 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 474 mg sodium, 56 mg cholesterol.
- Source: The Eating Well New Favorites Cookbook.