Roasted potatoes are a superb accompaniment for roast turkey, beef or pork. Perfect as a substitute for mashed at holiday meals. Surprisingly, they go very well with gravy. They’re glorious as a side for burgers.
Try adding some crushed garlic to the butter. About 1/2 teaspoon would do the trick to give these potatoes an extra added flavor. Outstanding.
- 1 pound (450 g) potatoes, peeled, cut into wedges or chunks
- melted butter (or fat from roasted meat) to roast
- 2 Cups (4 ounces or 120 grams) fresh white breadcrumbs, sieved
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mixed herbs, chopped
- Cut the potatoes into even pieces and parboil in salted water for 8 minutes.
- Drain and allow to dry off.
- Heat the butter or meat drippings, or any other suitable fat, in a deep roasting pan.
- Put the potatoes into the butter and roast in the oven 375 degrees F (190 deg. C) gas mark 5 for 30 minutes basting occasionally with the hot butter.
- Mix together the sieved breadcrumbs and mixed herbs.
- Carefully remove the partially cooked potatoes from the butter and roll them in the breadcrumb mixture. Be very careful not to burn yourself.
- Return to the roasting pan and continue to cook until nicely browned.