Crispy Marshmallow Ghosts are absolutely professional, utterly delicious, completely ghoulish Halloween cookies. Pallor icing makes them ghostly good!
Crispy Marshmallow Ghosts
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 14 ghosts
- 1/3 Cup butter
- 6 Cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 Cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 egg white
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In top of double boiler over boiling water, combine sugar, water, egg white, cream of tartar and salt. With electric mixer, beat at high speed for 7 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks form. fold in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until thickened. Can be stored up to 3 days. Makes 2 cups.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in marshmallows until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Scrape into large bowl; stir in cereal until coated.
- Set bowl over saucepan of boiling water. Using rubber gloves, shape cereal mixture into 4-inch long ghost shapes. Let stand for about 30 minutes or until firm. Spread with Pallor Icing; let stand for about 30 minutes or until set.
- In top of double boiler over bot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate; pipe onto ghosts to make faces.
- Ghosts can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Decorate by drawing faces with chocolate, or use candies and licorice strings.
Variation: Jack-O-Lanterns: Add orange food coloring with vanilla; shape into 1-1/2 inch balls. Create face with currants, red fruit leather, and licorice shoestrings and twists.