Creamy Spinach and Crab Soup is a subtle, seductive and sultry soup with spectacular flavor. Worthy of a casual or formal meal.
Creamy Spinach and Crab Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 8 ounces crab meat, divided (1 1/3 ounces each)
- 4 packages fresh spinach (10 ounces each)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Cups Crab Stock
- 2 Cups half-and-half or milk
- lemon zest
- black peppercorns, crushed
- Slice crab; reserve liquid.
- Wash the spinach and drain well. removing all the possible water. Use a salad spinner if available. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, then add spinach. Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat then allow to cool. Drain well and reserve.
- Melt butter in the same large saucepan. Add onion; sauté until tender. Blend in flour and spices. Gradually add Crab Stock, stirring constantly; heat to boiling.
- Purée spinach mixture in blender or food processor. Add half-and-half, crab liquid and stir well. Heat thoroughly. Do not boil.
- Portion into plates, adding crab. Garnish with a sprinkling of lemon zest and crushed peppercorns. Serve immediately.
The soup may be serve chilled.
Serving size: each of 6 servings Calories: 79 Fat: 6g Carbohydrates: 3g Sodium: 313mg Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 16mg