Creamy Onion Soup is an adaptation of the classic French Onion Soup. Our tasty variation is seriously delicious.
Creamy Onion Soup
Author: Diane Morgan
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 Cups Caramelized Onions; (see below)
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Cups beef broth
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 Cup creme fraiche or sour cream; see * Note
- 4 slices sourdough or country bread, thick; toasted
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 large onions; peeled, chopped
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- * Note: You can substitute sour cream for the creme fraiche, but add 1 teaspoon flour to stabilize it before stirring it into the soup.
- To caramelize onions, begin by chopping 5 large onions. Heat 5 tablespoons butter in a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they just begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and golden brown, 25 minutes longer. Adjust the heat so the onions brown but do not burn.
- Remove 2 Cups onions for use in this recipe; cool, cover and refrigerate. You can add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar to the onions remaining in the pan, plus salt and pepper to taste and serve with grilled sausages.
- Heat onions in 3 1/2- to 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until softened, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over top and cook, stirring continuously, until flour is absorbed and cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Add beef and chicken broth, thyme, salt, sugar, and pepper to taste. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in creme fraiche.
- Place 1 piece toasted bread in each soup bowl. Ladle soup over top. Garnish with grated Parmesan and serve immediately.
Recipe by Diane Morgan, author of "Cooking For The Week: Leisurely Weekend Cooking For Easy Weekday Meals," (Chronicle Books, $18.95)
Serving size: 1 portion Calories: 241 Fat: 7 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 33 g Sodium: 1351 mg Fiber: 1.38 g Protein: 11 g Cholesterol: 14 mg