Creamy Mushroom Noodles pairs perfectly with Pork with Cider, Mustard and Thyme. You can use wild mushrooms, if desired.
Creamy Mushroom Noodles
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 4 servings
- 350 g (12 ounces) noodles (wide noodles, penne, or others, as desired)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 250 g (9 ounces) bacon slices
- 250 g (9 ounces) button mushrooms, very thinly sliced
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) heavy cream
- 75 g (3 ounces) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 100 g (4 ounces) cooked ham, diced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 40 g (1 1/2 ounces) butter
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the oil and drop in the noodles. Bring back to the boil and cook according to package instructions, until just tender, Drain and rinse with boiling water to remove the excess starch.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to high. Grill the bacon until really crisp. Drain on absorbent paper, then cut into small strips and keep warm.
- Put the mushrooms and milk in a saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain the mushrooms and keep warm. Reserve half the milk.
- Beat the eggs, cream and the reserved milk together. Stir in the grated Cheddar cheese, half the parsley, the ham and salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the drained noodles, and toss over very gentle heat, to heat through.
- Stir the cream and egg mixture into the noodles, and toss quickly until they are well coated and the ingredients well mixed. Stir in the mushrooms.
- Turn the noodles into a warmed serving dish. Scatter the bacon, the remaining parsley and Parmesan, if using, on top. Serve at once.