For an exceptional treat, try Creamy Celeriac Soup with Applewood-Smoked Bacon at the start of any meal, or enjoy it for lunch. Loveable! Makes plenty.
Creamy Celeriac Soup with Applewood-Smoked Bacon
Author: Chad Kornetzke
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 3 Quarts
- 1 Cup applewood-smoked bacon, sliced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 Cup white wine
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 3/4 pound celeriac, peeled, diced
- 1 1/2 Quarts chicken stock
- 1 Quart heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 pound aged Gruyère cheese
- In heavy-bottomed pan, render bacon slowly over low heat until golden brown. Remove bacon with slotted spoon; add leeks and sweat leeks and garlic in bacon fat for 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in flour and thyme; cook about 1 minute.
- Deglaze with wine; add potatoes, celeriac, chicken stock and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper; bring to low simmer; cook 30 minutes.
- Purée soup until smooth. Stir in cheese to finish. Garnish soup with bacon.