The rutabaga (swede) is sadly an under used vegetable on the American table. Creamed Rutabaga is a tasty, high-fiber side dish that pairs well with roasts. Try it!
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 pounds (900 g) rutabagas (swedes), peeled and cut into small pieces
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) 2 ounces (50 g) salted butter
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Put the rutabaga into a large pan, cover with cold salted water and bring to the boil. Cover the pan and boil gently for about 40 minutes, until quite tender. Drain well in a colander.
- Return to the pan. Mash the rutabaga, add the butter and seasoning and cook over a high heat, stirring frequently to drive off all excess moisture.
- When a dry, stiffish puree is formed, adjust seasoning and spoon into a serving dish.
- Garnish with parsley.