Creamed Chicken and Biscuits
We recommend using frozen carrots, corn and peas, not canned as they're too mushy. Frozen vegetables hold their shape well. You may use pre-made biscuits or make your own.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 8 biscuits
- 1 pound chicken breast meat (boneless, skinless)
- 6 button or Cremini mushrooms
- 6 Shiitake mushrooms, or other wild mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Cup (2 ounces) carrots, cooked, crinkle cut
- 1 Cup corn niblets, cooked, drained
- 1/2 Cup peas, cooked, drained
- 1 1/2 Cups heavy cream
- freshly ground pepper
- Have the biscuits ready to slip into the oven to bake as you begin to prepare the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Slice the mushrooms, and if you are using shiitakes, discard the stems. Heat the butter in a skillet; when it stops foaming, add the chicken and mushrooms and saute over moderate heat for 4 minutes. Add the peppers and cook, stirring, over high heat for 1 more minute.
- Pour the cream into the skillet, adding the carrots, peas and corn, and cook until it has reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, split warm biscuits and divide the bottoms between 4 plates. Cover the bottoms with the creamed chicken. Place the top halves over the filling and serve.