Romantic, aromatic, seductive and so elegant, this simple paring of cold soups makes a great presentation and treat for lovers of great food.
Cream of Tomato and Basil Cream Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- 5 Tablespoons tapioca
- 1 Cup light cream
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 Tablespoon quick tapioca
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces toasted baguette rounds rubbed with garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoons pesto
- Sweat the leek, garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Liquify the mixture in a blender with the tomatoes and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the mixture in a saucepan.
- When it comes to a boil, sprinkle in the tapioca and cook for 15 minutes. Cool thoroughly.
- Once the tomato soup is cooled, bring the cream to a boil in a separate pot. Add the basil and quick tapioca and cook for 2 minutes while stirring with a whisk. Puree until smooth and creamy.
- Chill the 2 mixtures for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the tomato soup into large glasses, cover with basil cream and garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve the soup with garlic croutons spread with pesto.
A few drops of Tabasco to added the tomato soup will give it a spicier flavor.