Cream of Onion Soup is luscious, flavorful, rich, and delicious. A perfect soup to start a hot meal in cold weather.
Cream of Onion Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds (700 g) onions, skinned and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce) 25 g butter
- 4 Cups (32 fluid ounces) 900 ml white stock
- bouquet garni
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
- 2/3 Cup (150 ml) 1/4 pint milk
- salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons (45 to 60 ml) cream
- Lightly fry the onions in the butter for about 5 minutes, until soft but not colored. Add the stock and bouquet garni, cover, bring to the boil and simmer for about 45 minutes, until the onions are cooked.
- Remove the bouquet garni. Sieve the soup or puree it in an electric blender, return it to the saucepan and re-heat.
- Blend the flour and milk to a smooth cream, stir in a little of the hot soup and return the mixture to the pan, season, bring to the boil, stirring until it thickens, and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cream just before serving.