Few things are as comforting, warming and appealing as a bowl of homemade Cream of Chicken Soup. The incredible smoothness, lovely flavors and sultry texture make it perfect.
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery (with leaves), chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon flour
- 7 Cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 3/4 Cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon dry sherry (not cooking sherry)
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 12 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes more.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Tie the parsley sprigs, thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the soup. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the heavy cream, sherry, and salt into the soup and season with pepper to taste. Remove and discard the herb bundle. Portion into soup bowls, sprinkle the top of each soup with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
When ready to use it, defrost, remove the plastic wrap, pour into a saucepan and add 1 Tablespoon water. Heat over medium heat till bubbling, then simmer for 2 minutes while serving.
First created at The Hungry Monk, Banoffee proved so popular that customers spread the word, making ...
Cuban-style Skirt Steak is a glorious dish to prepare and enjoy. The intoxicatingly rich herbal fla...
Chopped Chef's Salad is not the kind you'll find in diners around the country. It is homemade, with ...
The wealth of flavors in Banana Bread Pudding would make a banker blush. Compounded by Spiced Rum Ca...